At Puss Bank every effort is made to provide all children with a broad and balanced curriculum, including the National Curriculum. For children with Special Educational Needs this may well be accessed through School Focused Plans and differentiation of activities and tasks within class.
In supporting children with special educational needs, we aim to:
- Promote the early identification of children with special needs.
- Identify gifted / talented / able children.
- Help the child with special educational needs fulfil his or her potential.
- Promote an awareness of children with special needs.
- Foster good relations between staff, parents/carers, support services and other outside agencies.
Puss Bank School is resourced for some pupils with Special Educational Needs and provides places for up to 7 pupils within its ASC Resourced Provision. All pupils in this provision have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan and have been placed in the school at the request of the local authority.
Parents/carers have a vital role to play in working with their children at home to reinforce the work done in school and to support any special programme of work that may be required.
Whatever difficulty any child at Puss Bank may have, the school aims to encourage and recognise achievement.
The Local Offer is a document published by the Local Authority which sets out all the information about the actual provision across education, health and social care, they expect to be available for children and young people in the area, who have SEN or are disabled.
The Local Offer has two key purposes:
- To provide clear, comprehensive,accessible and up-to-date information about the available provision and how to access it.
- To make provision more responsive to local needs and aspirations by directly involving disabled children, those with SEN and their parents as well as disabled young people and service providers in its development and review.
The school’s policy for Special Educational Needs follows the recommendations of the SEN Code of Practice.